About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Haiti 5 years after the earthquake: Friendship and partnership across borders

Today marks the 5th anniversary of the devastating earthquake that struck the area around Port au Prince, Haiti.

There have been lots of stories in the media marking this occasion. Many of these stories focus on questions surrounding aid, the continued economic challenges, and the current political situation in Haiti. These are realities that need to be explored and you can read more at:

TIME magazine on aid
CBC on continued challenges
Al Jazeera on post-earthquake challenges

At the same time, the stories of individuals and their families sometimes get lost in the media coverage. Haiti is a country full of stories of resilience and I have tried to provide some of these in earlier blog posts. I have also published some case examples in research journals and these can be found on my Laurier webpage:

Steve Sider research publications

Today, I will mark the anniversary of the earthquake by thinking of my colleagues in Haiti, being thankful for the shared experiences we have had, and remaining committed to the capacity-building that we are engaged in together.

No comments: