About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Education and Social Change: Release of Our New Book

Our new book that features international and comparative perspectives on social change in developing countries was released recently. The book is co-edited by two colleagues with whom I have worked in Haiti (Gaetane Jean-Marie and Charlene Desir) and is published by Information Age Publishing (North Carolina).

 

The book features two chapters which I contributed to, one on social change in Haiti and the other that looks at social entrepreneurship in Haiti and Kenya. I used the chapter on social entrepreneurship in a summer course I taught and was really appreciative of the insights of my students as they used the chapter to develop a critical perspective on the role of low-fee private schools in the developing world.

The other chapters of the book feature insights into education in contexts such as Ghana, India, China, Peru, and Thailand. A novel feature of the book is the comparisons that are made with educational programs amongst indigenous peoples in Canada, United States, and New Zealand.

I am pleased with the early reviews of the book and hope that it will provide further insights and ideas for educational capacity-building.

You can find more information on the book by clicking here.

No comments: