About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Who inspires you?

I have a good friend who has taken a "personal sabbatical" this year. She is traveling, reflecting, and writing on "educators who inspire." She is interviewing innovative and inspirational educators and then providing a video snapshot of the interview.

Her name is Roopa Reddy and I love what she is doing!

Here's her first video with Aaron Eden from The Green School in Bali (click on the underlined text): Aaron Eden, The Green School

I first came across The Green School through a TED Talk featuring the founder, John Hardy (click on the underlined text): TED Talk of John Hardy

Her second video features Veronica Puech from Kalapa Learning Community in Bogota. I love Veronica's emphasis on holistic education! To watch this 6 minute video, click on the underlined text: Veronica Puech, Kalapa Learning Community

To find out more about Roopa, check out her website and blog:  http://www.edumodels.ca/

I am inspired by watching these videos and listening to these passionate and innovative educators. I'm also inspired by Roopa who has taken a risk by leaving academic life (at least temporarily) and who is searching for global insights into what education might look like going forward.

I'm also inspired by people who work at a local, and often un-noticed, level. I have a friend who has taught grade 7 and 8 for 25 years, often in really challenging school contexts. He is an amazing educator who draws little attention to himself but has significantly impacted many young people. I'm amazed by one of our Laurier grads of just two years ago who is working in Attawapiskat, a First Nations community in the far north of Ontario, which has been rocked by suicides and attempted suicides. I'm inspired by a young teacher I met in a very rural Haitian community who often teaches 80 or more students of all grades, often not receiving a pay cheque on a regular basis.

In both local and global contexts, we are surrounded by educators who inspire.

Roopa has reminded me to reflect and be thankful for the many educators who have inspired me.

Who has inspired you?

No comments: