About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bread, naan, pita, bannock...

This year I'm creating a variety of glocal lesson plans that teachers can use, either as "one-off" lessons or as part of a curriculum unit connected to the Ontario Ministry of Education.  My first one is on helping students realize that many cultures around the world share bread as a part of the diet.  The lesson plan provides activities looking at different kinds of bread, where ingredients might come from (globally and locally), providing opportunities for students to consider why bread is so important (and what happens when it becomes too expensive or hard to get) and, of course, a chance to sample different kinds of breads! Younger children can learn how to make a Kenyan bread (Mama Panya's Pancakes) while older children could read Deborah Ellis' The Breadwinner (What does the term mean? What gender-related issues are involved with providing "bread" i.e. support to your family).  Email me if you'd like to contribute an idea or lesson or to get copies of the ones I'm working on.  Once I have a variety, I'll publish them here or on my Laurier web-site.

No comments: