About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

$35 Tablet Computers for India? Potential for Marginalized People in Countries like Haiti

There has been work in India (and elsewhere) to develop a cheap tablet computer which could connect children in rural areas to the Internet. This is the latest article I've seen on this (click below):

$35 Tablets for India

The article includes a very short video which gives a demo of the voice recognition and Internet capability of the tablet.

It also includes a second section which reviews some of the research on programs like One Laptop Per Child.

If the roll-out of this new tablet can succeed (especially in the "scalability" factor - i.e. distribution and use by a small number of people to massive distribution/access), then it shows great potential for other marginalized areas such as in Haiti. Looking forward to following this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like reading through an article that can make people think.
Also, thanks for allowing for me to comment!
Also see my web site - Microsoft Surface advantages and disadvantges