About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Sunday, August 5, 2018

What makes you proud? Haiti ELI Day 2

Today was a day of hiking and planning for the Haiti Educator and Leadership Institute.

Most of our group traveled an hour to Milot, Haiti where the famous Citadelle stands. This is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a symbol of Haiti's independence. It is a site of immense pride for Haitians. The Citadelle was built about 200 years ago as Haiti gained independence from France. To read more, check out this information (click here).




Associated with it is the amazing Sans Souci Palace. Based on the palace at Versailles, it is an incredible structure that - in its glory - must have been like nothing else in the western hemisphere.



After returning to our hotel, some of us went to the local market. Karen and I had a chance to talk with a local artisan who makes tin art. As he showed us his tools and patterns, we were struck by the beauty of his work. I am proud to say that some of his tin art will grace our house next week :)

We then spent a number of hours in meetings and preparation for the start of the Educator and Leadership Institute tomorrow. As I watched different groups work through the lessons and activities that they are preparing, I was filled with awe at the talent amongst the educators who are with us. I was struck by the Haitian and Canadian instructors meeting together, cohesive in their commitment to support the professional learning journey of others with whom we will meet tomorrow.

I am proud of the work that we are doing in Haiti. I am also proud of the educators - Haitian and Canadian - who are committed to supporting this work in Haiti. Finally, I am proud to be able to show to my Canadian colleagues a country of immense beauty, culture, and history.





No comments: